Anyone who has been a caregiver for any length of time has learned that it is almost impossible to be prepared for everything that will come along. Just when you begin to think you have things under control something new pops up unexpectedly with the person you’re caring for. However, there are some tricks that can help to make these inevitable surprises a little less stressful.
One suggestion is to put together a packet of information that can be kept somewhere where it is easy to grab at a moment’s notice. This way when a stressful situation arises there will be a few less things to have to remember. While each person will want some specific things ready to go, here are some ideas of what should be included:
1. Health insurance information, including a copy of any cards.
2. A list of all the medications that they are taking, including names and doses. This needs to include prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements.
3. A list of medical problems, diagnoses and allergies.
4. Copies of legal documents such as a medical durable power of attorney or a living will.
5. Contact information for all health professionals who have been involved in their care.
This is not an exhaustive list but is a great place to start. Add to this any specific information that pertains to your loved ones condition and circumstances.